Vatican Museum, Vatacombs and St Peters
- Enjoy a 3-hour guided tour of Vatican City
- Explore the world-renowned Vatican museums
- Experience the beauty of Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel
- Visit the underground tombs of former Popes - the Vatacombs
- Admire St. Peter's Basilica
Experience the Highlights of Rome
On this tour, you'll see highlights from arguably the most important collection of art in the world, including The Rooms of Raphael, The Sistine Chapel, and The Belvedere Courtyard.
Your English-speaking guide will provide you with a comprehensive overview on all that you see, especially The Sistine Chapel and the famous painter Michelangelo to ensure that you get the most out of your time spent in Vatican City. Our guides on our Vatican tours are very popular and receive many positive reviews and comments from our guests.
After leaving The Sistine Chapel, you will be led through the underground level, called the Vatacombs, a rarely seen area of the Vatican where tombs of the former popes are located.
Next you'll head up into St Peter's Basilica, the largest basilica in the world built over what are believed to be the bones of St. Peter. Here you get to enjoy the magnificent view of the dome from the ground. (This tour does not include entrance to the dome. Tickets can be purchased on site).
The tour ends outside the magnificent Basilica where we will hear about the history of the Vatican State, The Swiss Guard, and how St Peter's Square was designed.
The tour is operated in English.
How do I get my tickets?
Shortly after your booking is complete your e-ticket will be sent directly to your email address entered at time of booking, just print it out and bring it on your tour.
Where does the tour start?
The tour starts by the When In Rome Tours' office. The address will be on your e-ticket. Please plan on arriving 30 minutes before the tour starts.
Where does the tour end?
The tour ends outside St. Peter's Basilica.
How long is the tour?
The tour runs approx. 3 hours.
Is Necropolis a part of the tour?
No, this tour does not include Necropolis as only the Vatican can authorize and conduct tours to this area.
Is there a dress code?
Yes, there is a strict dress code at the Vatican. Shoulders and knees must be covered for both women and men. Sandals are considered appropriate.
Are there child rates?
Yes, child rates are available for children between ages 6-17. Children under age 6 are free when accompanied by a paying adult.
- Due to the popularity of the attractions and the number of visitors on the sites, your tour may run longer than anticipated. We regret any inconvenience this may cause you.
- Cancellations can happen at very short notice. In this case, we will contact you and offer you alternative tour dates or, if preferred, offer a full refund.
- Due to security reasons, we strongly recommend that you do not bring any large bags or packages.
- This tour is conducted as a walking tour, as no vehicles are allowed inside the Vatican, so please wear appropriate footwear.